San MartÃn de los Andes is a charming mountain town nestled on the tip of Lago LÃ¡car between high peaks. Its geographical location is of singular beauty, almost hidden in a sumptuous amphitheater in the mountains that preserves the fertility of its lake and forest environment.
In addition to the environmental beauty and peace and quiet of its great stretches of greenery and the LanÃn National Park, the largest in the province of NeuquÃ©n, San MartÃn de los Andes is the “jewel” of the “Corredor de los Siete Lagos” (Seven Lakes Belt). Thanks to their natural beauty, the famous “belt” and the LanÃn National Park are the main attractions in this region. This makes a visit to this city that offers the enchantment of snow in winter and adventure tourism in summer, together with an imposing contact with nature, a “must”.
The town is considered the tourism capital of the Neuquen province, a claim that’s hard to negate, considering the copious arts-and-crafts shops, gear-rental shops, restaurants, and hotels that constitute much of downtown. San MartÃn has grown considerably in the past 10 years, yet it hasn’t succumbed to the whims of developers as Bariloche has, owing to city laws that limit building height and regulate architectural styles. The town is more quiet than Bariloche and decidedly more picturesque, thanks to its timber-heavy architecture and Swiss Alpine influence. San MartÃn overflows with activities including biking, hiking, boating, and skiing. The tourism infrastructure here is excellent, with every lodging option imaginable and plenty of great restaurants.
– In the summer adventure sports are the most widespread, like Kayak, Mountain bike, Trekking, Rafting, horse-riding, and others.
– By the Seven lakes Road, you can visit Villa La Angostura and the National park Los Arrayanes with the Nahuel Huapi lake.
– In winter San MartÃn de los Andes has a Ski center Chapelco for the development of winter sports like snowboard and Ski, it is one of the most important Ski centres of Argentina and South America.
– Centre for handcrafted artisan arts & crafts and local culinary delicacies like gourmet chocolates, pastries, organic jams and preserves. Patagonian cuisine and tea houses abound. Alpine-style hotels, lodgings and cabins are available throughout the year.
– The city is serviced by the Chapelco Airport which is 22 km away
– Hua-Hum international pass for travel to Panguipulli in Chile lies only 45 km from San MartÃn de los Andes. It is one of the few passes between Chile and Argentina that are open all year round.