Whatever Spanish course you are going to take, please take a few minutes and read the following guiding topics.
- Spanish language is the mother tongue of almost 350 million people, the second language in international importance, the official language in twenty one countries and an official language of the European Union, UNESCO, GATT, Mercosur and many other international organizations.
- Spanish is one of the most frequently used business language and Latin America is becoming a very important area for business.
- There are more than 30 million Spanish speakers in the United States of America. In 50 years, Spanish will be the spoken language in the homes of half of the American population.
- Speaking and understanding Spanish will improve your employment opportunities. Most companies would choose someone with Spanish language skills because it says something about you and your willingness to accept challenges beyond just meeting your high school or University language credit requirements.
- Speaking and understanding Spanish will deepen your knowledge of the latin culture.
- Learning Spanish provides deeper insights into regions that play a vital role in economic life and into its cultural history.
- In many regions, Spanish speakers account for the largest percentage of tourists.
- Learning Spanish means getting in touch with a language with a long cultural tradition; learning Spanish will allow you to step into the world of Cervantes, Gracilazo de la Vega, Adolfo Bequer, Picasso, Diego Velásquez, Antoni Gaudí, Granados and Spanish film directors such as Carlos Saura, Julio Medem and Pedro Almodóvar.
- Spanish is no harder to learn to speak and write than other languages.
- And in day-to-day living, whether you are travelling, working or simply surfing the Net, Spanish will open new opportunities for you.
For these reasons the Spanish language is an essential skill at personal and professional level.
Overview of our methodology:
- Communicative Method: highly interactive methodology, proven to be effective in the development of student’s communication skills.
- Conversational Approach: in most of our courses listening & speaking skills are given precedence over reading & writing skills. Exceptions are our DELE Exam course and other Personalized Spanish Courses.
- The language of instruction is Spanish. Our special teaching methodology will make it easy to follow and take part in the lessons.
- Study Materials: carefully selected and prepared. Textbooks and additional up-to-date materials or teaching aids suitable for practice purposes, such as audio and video.
- Small classes: the average number of students per class is from 3 to 7. Since the groups are small in number, the teacher is able to deal with the specific needs of each student on a personal basis.
- Personalized, student-centered instruction based on individual interests, needs and learning style: the classes are planned depending on the students`s needs and different styles of learning. Supplementary materials are designed for each student or group based on their specific needs and interests.
- Levels & Syllabus: reliable and objective level system to measure student’s linguistic ability. Detailed syllabus for each course designed under the guidelines of the Common European Framework for Languages.
- Spanish Teachers: highly professional, experienced, trained & passionate. All hold university degrees.
- Students receive regular homework assignments to gain a deeper understanding of the course material and ensure that they keep up with the pace.
Our courses are systematically laid out, with each course building on the course material of the previous level. The levels are based on the common European reference framework for languages.
For example, a student starting out with no knowledge of Spanish can take 8 to 12 months of intensive instruction and acquire the language skills needed to enter university in Argentina or in another Spanish speaking country. You can also join a shorter intensive course at your level to pursue your individual goals.
Each class lasts 55 minutes. In the individual lessons, the time required to complete each level is reduced by approximately 30 %.
Each class lasts 55 minutes. In the individual lessons, the time required to complete each level will be reduced approximately a 30 %.
|Levels in Verbum||European Framework of
Reference for Languages
|Basic 60 classes||A1 Break-through||Novice Mid||A1||Elemental||2|
|Elemental 60 classes||A2 Way-stage||Intermediate Low||A2||Basic||4|
|Inter-mediate 90 classes||B1 Threshold||Intermediate High||Inicial||Intermediate||6|
|Upper intermediate 120 classes||B2 Vantage||Advanced Mid||Basic||Advance||8|
|Advance 150 classes||C1 Effectiveness||Advanced High||–||–||9|
|Superior 150 classes||C2 Mastery||Superior||Superior||Superior||10|
|–||–||–||–||Business Tourism Health Care|
|–||–||–||–||Teacher of Spanish as a
A.C.T.F.L. – American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages
D.E.L.E. – Diplomas of Spanish as a Foreign Language / Cervantes Institute
D.I.E. – International Diploma of Spanish – University of Salamanca – Written and online level
D.I.E. – International Diploma of Spanish – University of Salamanca – Oral levels
Can understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type. Can introduce him/herself and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details such as where he/she lives, people he/she knows and things he/she has. Can interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.
Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment). Can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters. Can describe in simple terms aspects of his/her background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.
Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc. Can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken. Can produce simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest. Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes & ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialisation. Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party. Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
Can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning. Can express him/herself fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions. Can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes. Can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices.
Can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read. Can summarise information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation. Can express him/herself spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in more complex situations.
Diplomas of Spanish as a Foreign Language DELE
Exams are held in an accredited center of the Instituto Cervantes network, in Buenos Aires in May, August and November. The deadline for registration to take the exam is usually a month before the date of the exam. The exam can be taken also in Spain and Spanish Embassies throughout the world.
We offer preparation courses for the SIELE exams and we are an accredited test center for the SIELE Exam.
DELE vs SIELE: What are the differences?
DELE and SIELE have been created to respond to different user’s expectations and needs. Both have international acknowledgement and are endorsed by very prestigious institutions.
|General information||It’s written on paper, limited to a few dates per year and a few test centers around the world.||It is online and you can arrange the date of the exam with the center. We are an examining center of SIELE exam.|
|Dates and schedule||You need to reach out to local centers, ask when the next exam is and register about a month in advance.||You choose your exam date and which of the modules you want to do in that particular day.You need to register at least 48 hours in advance. Write us to arrange a
|Exam itself||The DELE exam is divided in 4 parts (reading, listening, writing and oral). All these abilities are tested on the same day or on 2 consecutive days.||The SIELE is divided in 4 parts: reading & listening comprehension, reading comprehension & written expression, listening comprehension & oral expression and interaction. You can
mix and match them to decide which modules you want to test in any single day. Alternatively, you can take SIELE Global and sit all four, which takes around 3 hours. This last version is very similar to the
|Levels||You have to choose a Spanish level to be tested (from A1 to C2)||You don’t have to register for a particular level. You take the exam and, according to your score, you’ll achieve either the A1, A2, B1, B2 or C1 level.|
|Contents||DELE exam is similar to SIELE Global.||The combination of the different SIELE modules is very similar to the DELE exam. The questions are alike in both exams, with the same type of exercises and difficulty. You can
use DELE exercise books to prepare for SIELE and SIELE examples to prepare for the DELE.
|Getting the certificate||After you take your exam, you need to wait 2 to 3 months until your DELE results are known. The diploma takes a while longer to arrive in the mail.||You get the results and certificate within three weeks (maximum).|
|How long is the certificate valid for?||The DELE diploma, as issued by the Spanish ministry of education, is valid for the rest of your life.||The SIELE certificate, which is issued by 5 partners throughout Spanish speaking countries, has a validity of five years. This is modeled after other foreign-language exams that take into account that proficiency might decrease over time if the language is not used – which is why you need to prove your fluency again after a while.|
Which is better? It depends on why you are taking the exam in the first place. We hope this short guide helped you to make a more informed decision on whether to take the DELE or the SIELE exams.
International Diploma of Spanish (D.I.E.)
Verbum is an examining center of the D.I.E., International Diploma of Spanish
The International Diploma of Spanish is valid internationally and issued by Fidescu and the Universidad Pontificia de Salamanca It is recognised by the University Pontificia of Salamanca Diploma in Spanish, offering children from the age of 7, young people and adults, the possibility of obtaining qualifications which vouch for their level of linguistic ability in Spanish: oral, written, or both. This qualification is divided as followed:
- Ten oral levels: Elemental, Pre-intermediate, Intermediate, Advanced and Superior. Each stage has two levels.
- Five written levels: Elemental, Pre-Intermediate, Intermediate, Advanced and Superior.
- Four levels of specialisation: Spanish Teachers foreing language, Business, Health and Tourism.
It offers the possibility of choosing the on-line modality, written, oral and specialised. The objective of the D.I.E. consists of evaluating the capacity of each candidate to communicate effectively with other Spanish speakers.
For further information please go to the official web site of Fidescu
Exams of Certification of the University of Buenos Aires (U.B.A.)
- C.E.B. (Spanish Basic Certificate), University of Buenos Aires
- C.E.I. (Spanish Intermediate Certificate), University of Buenos Aires
- C.E.A. (Spanish Advanced Certificate), University of Buenos Aires
Exams are held in the University of Buenos Aires, in Buenos Aires, in March, August and November.
The deadline for registration to take the exam is usually 15 days before the date of the exam.
- C.E.L.U. (Certificate of Spanish: Language and Use)
Argentine exam of Spanish as foreign language, which has been developed by the Argentine Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology together with National Universities. It certifies your proficiency of Spanish at an international official level. CELU has three different levels: basic, intermediate and advance. Exams are held in May and November in Argentina (in Buenos Aires, Santa Fe and Córdoba) and Brazil (in Rio de Janeiro) among other countries.
The deadline for registration to take the exam is usually 15 days before the date of the exam.
Directly experiencing another culture and its people are essential for a true understanding of the language. Consequently, our cultural and leisure programs are an important part of our course program, complementing classroom activities with a personal experience of life in a Spanish-speaking environment.
To this end, we provide tours of some of the famous and affluent neighborhoods in Buenos Aires, such as: Puerto Madero and Recoleta, tours of the area around Plaza San Martin, and tours of La Boca and San Telmo (birthplace of the Tango) and other popular cultural areas. All these visits are made in groups guided by one of our teachers and are very helpful in practicing Spanish.
Some of these activities are free. They are included in the price of the courses. For others, the student may have to pay a small ticket or admission charge. Extra costs are noted where required.
Individual (one-to-one) courses may begin any time.
Group courses start every Monday.
Classes are from Monday trought Friday.
Saturdays only on student´s request.
In 2019 Verbum will not be opened on the following holidays:
In 2020 Verbum will not be opened on the following holidays:
2nd and 10th April
1st and 25th May
8th and 25th december